Thursday, May 13, 2010

my first real travels for the year

So my trip to Portugal was much needed but it was off to a rough start. I had packed the night before and was all ready to go. All I had to do was get up, shower, get dressed and head out the door. That all seemed to go well despite it being 7am. I headed to Gare du Nord to catch the RER B to take it to the airport. i paid the 8euros for the special ticket to get me there. however, this is where the fun began. As I was getting to the lower level of the tracks an annoucement came on saying that the train would wait on the tracks for a moment due to a suspicious, abandoned bag at the net station. The announcement then said the train would stay there until further notice. By 8:10am the train still hadn't moved and there was no indications of it moving anytime soon. So I headed upstairs to go grab a taxi outside. However, I was clearly not the only one with this idea. I got to the taxi stop and waited. And waited, and waited and waited. After about 30 mintues of waiting, an older man behind me noticed my luggage (which by the way was only a small carry-on bag, and my purse. For those who know me and my packing habits should be very impressed!!) I was next to get a taxi and he asked if I was going to the airport and if so, which one. Luckily he was heading to the same one and asked if I would mind splitting the cab. I said not at all. Oh but the fun didn't stop here. Because obviously there had to be more traffic and more construction than normal espceially since it was now 8:45. The problem is that my flight was at 10:50 which means the check-in closes at 9:50. Finally, 20 euros and almost an hour later (9:38 to be exact) I arrived at the airport. Luckily my check-in gate was a 2 minute walk from where the cab dropped me off. Plus it was obvious that I was not the last one to get there. So although my cab cost me less than I had expected it was still just as stresful. Leave it to Paris to have no other way to get to the airport quickly or cheaply if the trains don't work! lol
At least I got there and was off to Portugal!! More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment