Monday, May 31, 2010

Just my luck - mor about Portugal!!




This trip has been full of randomness, in a really good way. First, when I arrived on the Thursday it happened to be the only night of the week that the bull fights are on. I am not a supporter but it is a very honoured Portuguese tradition that I wanted to experience. (I will describe it in detail in another blog for those who are interested). Secondly, on the day I went to tour one of the castles in the city, there happened to be an extreme bike competition that actually went through the castle grounds. They rode down the stairs and did jumps off one of the walls. It was pretty cool to see. Thirdly, despite having booked a bed in a 10-bed dorm at the hostel they said there was a problem so they put me in a 4-bed dorm but charged me the same price. Not bad. On top of that, they didn’t put anyone else in my room despite quite a few people being put in the other 10-bed dorm on the same floor. So I had a 4-bed room all to myself. Fourthly, my second last night Lisbon’s football (or soccer) team “Benfica” was named League Champions for 2010. I am not even sure how to explain the festivities of that night. People crowded the streets wearing the teams’ scarves and jerseys, there were people hanging out of their cars with flags and signs, floats, double-decker buses filled with people, etc. There were people honking and screaming and climbing street lights and statues everywhere. At some points the entire crowd of people, children, elderly, teens and adults, would all jump up and down, chanting. Of course, I didn’t know exactly what they were chanting but the words campeao and nos sumes were repeated a lot. With my French and English I was able to figure out that they were chanting “We are the Champions”. It was pretty clear. There was a semi-truck bed that had a DJ and lights and sparkles and people were going crazy. It even had a fireworks display. It was such an amazing thing to witness and to be in the middle of. There were hundreds of people filling the square where we were. It is indescribable and something I’ve never seen before and will never forget. And finally, despite the difficulties it caused, it is pretty cool that the Pope arrived in the city where I was and drove past where I was staying.
Overall an amazing (and much needed) trip!! Thanks, Omas and Bucky!!

No comments:

Post a Comment