Friday, May 21, 2010

orly airport - a little delayed but oh well!

So on my way to Portugal it was my first time at the Paris Orly airport. It is a nice airport and fairly well organized. However, there were a few things that surprised me. First, how quickly I was through security. It took litterally less than two mintues. Secondly, while I was sitting waiting to board the bus to get to the plane a blue army tank-like vehicle drove by. There was a solider standing up half out of the top part as well as a Gendarmerie (police) officer popping out of another area. They drove back past where I was a second time. Clearly not in attack mode but still fairly odd. Plus the blue makes them quite noticable so they def don't have the whole camoflauge thing going. The third thing I thought was interesting was the route the bus took. As it winded in and out of areas it was very clear that most people who work at airports don't work all that hard, at least here. We went past an area that had litterally 15 grounds crew guys sitting having a smoke and a coffee. We also drove past an area where they load the baggage onto the cars to take to the planes and both the guys were there standing beside the stopped converyor belt as well as a car loaded with bags ready to go. One of the guys was reading a newspaper while the other was on his phone. I am sure they work hard when they do work but in typical French fashion they don't seem to work all that often! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment