Friday, October 9, 2009

catching up for the past month part 1

So it has been awhile sine I posted on here. I apologize for the lack of updates. I am going to do a series of updates that will fill people in on what I have been doing out here for the past month.

Part 1:
First let me tell you about registering for school out here in France. It has been a long and lengthy process but finally I have all of my courses picked and my tutition is paid for.
It sarted the first week I was back here. I had to go into the school and pick up my file and fill out a bunch of forms, get my department to sign off on my program and get a thesis advisor to sign off on my thesis idea and agree to help me throughout the year. That took about a week to do and was a little stressful as every student taking a masters with the department of french literature is seeking a thesis advisor and there are very few of them. I had received many responses from professors saying they already had too many students. I finally found an advisor who is a little scary but I think it will be good for me as she will push me to really improve my french. Once all that was done, I had to make an appointment with the office for masters services and spent a good half hour waiting eventhough I had an appointment. Finally my file was processed and I then had to go to another building on campus to pay my tuition and get my student card. I paid my tuition (only 400 euros, plus social security and athletics for a total of 600 euros) that is equivalent to about 1000$ which is slightly cheaper than any masters program I know of back home! lol I then got my student card which they did in 5 mintues. Took my photo, scanned it and printed the card. Done and Done!!
Once that was all finished I had to wait for my specific dates to register (in person) for my courses. As part of my french literature degree I have to take a language course. As I am Canadian I can't take English so therefore decided to take French. I am sure learning a new language like german or italian or spanish would have been fun but I am already nervous enough about taking courses here and having to write a thesis in French that I might as well work on my French a little bit more. Finally as of Wednesday I am registered for a French language course, a 17th century literature course, a 16th to 19th century literature course, a themes and genres in French literature course, a Voyages in 16th to 19th century literature course and a three day course on French theatre which takes place over three saturdays throughout November. So after about three weeks worth of work, I am finally registered for my courses and ready to start my masters program.
Courses finally start next Monday and I have my first French literature masters course at La Sorbonne on Tuesday morning. I am a little nervous, not sure how this will go but am pretty excited and can't wait to get started. I am a little worried since I am not really good with dates and numbers in french so we will see how it goes with note taking and such. So, four days in counting and my masters program starts. We'll see what happens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment