Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The trials and troubles of travalling at holiday time

So here are two tips when travelling. 1) don't do it close to the holidays or anytime in winter for that matter! lol and 2) suck it up and pay the extra money to avoid being with a stand alone airline.

This will be a two part blog:
1) My flight from Paris to Canada for the holidays.
I arrived early at the airport Charles deGaulle. There was a transportation strike so I left myself extra time just in case. When I first walked out of my apartment it was lightly snowing (flurries really) and I was pretty excited to see the snow. However that changed a few hours later when my flight didn't board when it was supposed to. We still hadn't boarded three hours later and had no information about when or if we were going to board a plane that day. All the information was in Dublin and they weren't giving any of it to the poor man at the gate in Paris. He therefore had no information for us which made it even harder when he tried to explain it in broken English. About four hours delayed they gave us a 5euros food voucher to be used in the airport. Finally we boarded the plane and sat on the runway for another hour and then finally took off for Dublin with no idea of what would happen once we got there.
Once we got to Dublin they seperated us into groups to help us figure out where we would stay for the night and what flights we were on the following day. Most of us got our flights all figured out right away and then some of us didn't and were told to head to our hotel and they would fax our information to us that evening. So I went to my hotel and relaxed, had a nice bubble bath and headed to the restaurant fo dinner with my meal voucher. What a delicious meal it was too. I ate with one of the other girls who got stuck on the same flight. After dinner we hung out at the hotel bar but I still hadn't heard from the airline. The receptionist called the airline to see if they had any information but they were closed. So all she could suggest was call back at 7 in the morning. So I went back to the bar with the others and we hung out there for the evening.
So 7am I got up and called the airline to see what information they had for me. Thankfully I was packed and ready to leave because when I called they told me my flight was at 11am which meant I had to be there at 9am. So I went and grabbed my free buffet breakfast, then got on the shuttle t the airport. All was fne with my flight information and I got through security fine but apparently not everyone got their flights all figured out. Unfortunately the flight they put me on was from Dublin to Shannon, Ireland, then o Boston and finally to Columbus. It all went smooth and it wasn't a horrible flight. I finally made it to Boston and then had t take my bags off the baggage claim, go through customs, recheck my bags, then take a shuttle to another terminal. I then got on a small plane to Ohio. I arrived in Ohio a day late but finally!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment